COD: Modern Warfare 2

Having played COD: World At War and enjoyed it, I was quite eager to get stuck into Modern Warfare 2. The promise of tactical manouvres in squad-level combat with modern weapons really got me excited.

The reality, however, falls far short - at least in single-player.

I expected the inane machismo and the inevitable betrayal of characters I don't care about, by characters I don't care about, for items/plot points I don't care about.

What I didn't expect was them to take the confusion levels to such heights as to eliminate the tactical element almost entirely. It really is reduced to the level of "I'll try running here....Oh I died. I'll try running to a different spot next time"....and repeat. In order to make tactical decisions, you need to either be given information directly, or time in which to gather that information yourself. You get neither here.

But confusion in battle is surely realistic - it's only part of the immersive experience! Well whoopy-do. Another victory for realism over fun.

If they're so up on realism, why do the guns auto-aim when you hold the left trigger? Clearing a room is pretty much as simple as repeating hold left trigger-pull right trigger-release both until everyone is dead. If I wanted that kind of mechanic, I could fire up Daley Thomson's Decathlon on the C64 emulator and do a 100m sprint.

If the game wants to be realistically confusing, then well done - it's managed it. And you know what? It's no fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Micro:Bit and SPI display

DCS World with TrackIR under Ubuntu

Cardboard Mock-up of USB Joystick