Island Terrain Generation

I've been playing around with procedural terrain generation for literally years, and the paucity of large-scale successes has made me determined to celebrate small ones.  So, whilst this still needs a HUGE amount of work, here goes...

In my recent coding, I've been exploring semi-procedural method for islands using python3.  Building on my python triangulator from the Before Times, I have managed to make this:


Yes, it is currently pants.

However, it is generated from the outline of the island and the ridge points, and if I apply a DeLaunay pass to the triangulation I am sure it will look a lot better.

Also, a great deal of the work has been taken up by figuring out how to store the data in a structure which allows the kind of processing I want to do.  Refactoring this data structure is actually my next step, so I can build to more islandy-looking islands.

But the signs are hopeful!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Micro:Bit and SPI display

DCS World with TrackIR under Ubuntu

Cardboard Mock-up of USB Joystick