Mumble on TinyCore

Mumble is beautiful.  It is simple and does exactly what it says on the tin.

Something new I discovered about it today is that the static linux release works out-of-the-box on TinyCore!

I got an old thin client off ebay a while back (an IGEL D200) and it's so crap it wouldn't even boot with a USB plugged in.  Maybe that's some security BS I haven't found the BIOS switch for, but I gave up on trying to find a way round it.

So what I did was set up a VM in VirtualBox which had the right RAM/HDD sizes, then install TinyCore and do the setup.

Then, I followed the instructions here (but with VirtualBox not VMware) to clone the VM onto the CF card from the thin client (using CloneZilla). 

I had to use the command line instructions from here to create a raw disk vmdk file for the VM. 

I also had to change the permissions on the vmdk file and the block device (/dev/sdd in my case) so I didn't have to run VirtualBox as root.

...but then I slotted the CF card back into the thin client and it worked!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Micro:Bit and SPI display

DCS World with TrackIR under Ubuntu

Cardboard Mock-up of USB Joystick