November Projects

Last Month's Projects:

Physical make: Loganberry frame/trellis.  

This still didn't happen. :(

BUT! All the timber that was clogging up the workshop has now gone (except for the bits I need for the trellis).  So this might actually get done this month.

 
Coding make: Turning my Silkworm tribute into an entry for the DOS Games Fall Jam.  
 
The deadline was extended for another couple of weeks, so I'm going to continue with this.  I've learned a lot about how enormously fat the standard C++ libraries are in terms of how they bloat up the size of the final executable.  The .exe is limited to 64kB in 16-bit real mode, so having 'cout' take up 6kB of that is just unreasonable.  <iostream> also needs to go, but I don't need to murder that just yet.
 
Reading: My Past & Thoughts by Alexander Herzen.
 
I finished it! :D
 
The book made really interesting reading, tying together lots of disparate things I knew about 19th century Europe and really brought the times and people to life for me.  It also taught me lots about the conditions in Russia before the communist revolution.  There was plenty I didn't really take in - especially the more philosophical bits - but it really was an enlightening read.

November Projects:

Physical make: Loganberry frame/trellis.  Still.  But at least I can do a lot of the construction inside now.  After I've finished it, I'm going to start building a new USB joystick with springs to centre it.
 
Coding make: Turning my Silkworm tribute into an entry for the DOS Games Fall Jam.  I plan to get this to a stage where there is a single playable level with a handful of enemy types and a boss at the end.  Once I've done that, I'm not sure if I'll carry on and build more levels, convert into 32-bit protected mode, or just drop it and start something new.
 
Reading: The Fall of Yugoslavia by Misha Glenny.
 
I've started the first chapter of this and I'm already really enjoying it.  Misha's fantastic way of writing is both accessible and captivating.  I can clearly imagine the people and places described so far.  I know the subject matter is going to get much, much darker - hopefully I'll still find it as compelling when it does.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Micro:Bit and SPI display

DCS World with TrackIR under Ubuntu

Cardboard Mock-up of USB Joystick