XBox 360 Red Ring of Death

My brother bought a job lot of busted XBox 360s and recently gave up trying to fix them.  I have stepped into the breach and decided to show these machines who is boss.

At the moment, it looks like I might even be able to fix one as well. :)

I tried replacing the thermal compound, but to no avail.

Then, I found this article, which seemed a little extreme.  However, to test it out, I tried firing up the XBox while leaning heavily on the CPU heatsink.  Lo and behold, the RROD had disappeared!

So tomorrow, I am off to a hardware store to pick up some nuts, bolts and washers to properly squeeze this processor back down.  I'll update with how it goes...

UPDATE:
Well, I busted it.  Now it shows a different error code.  I suspect I tightened the bolts too much and the stress on the motherboard broke more connections.

I feel like a ham-fisted dumb-ass.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Micro:Bit and SPI display

DCS World with TrackIR under Ubuntu

Cardboard Mock-up of USB Joystick