New Scenery Blocks

I'm continuing to build scenery in 12" square blocks to allow for depth in the terrain, and I've finished two more blocks: a corner bunker and another straight trench.

The Corner Bunker

The idea for this block was an objective, defensive position or entry point at the corner of the battlefield.



The bunker itself is just cereal card glued to the underlying corrugated-cardboard frame.  I used a scalpel to cut the groove for where the door closes.  The paint is a simple mix of cheap black and white acrylic paint.


The road edges coming in are meant to be tracks worn by long-term vehicle use.  I built up areas with a mix of bird-grit, bird-sand, talc, PVA and water.  Then I used sand-talc-PVA-water to smooth it a bit more, then finally talc-PVA-water to try and make some sections look muddier.

The colouring is a dark brown spray, followed by a lighter stone-coloured spray, then dry brushed with cheap brown acrylic, blending up with white.


The Trench

Based on the same edges as the previous trench block, I decided to put a strong-point in this one.  Then, while creating it, I decided to try and make the strong-point have a swappable insert.  The construction and painting techniques are identical to the previous block.



Here you can see my work-in-progress guard tower which slots in quite nicely.  I also plan to have an open trench piece and a concrete bunker piece.


And here you can see how it lines up with my previous trench piece.  My painting techniques have evolved since I made the first batch, so the colour is off, but I'm not bothered enough to repaint the old one.  It seems to line up nicely, and that's all I really care about at this point.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Micro:Bit and SPI display

DCS World with TrackIR under Ubuntu

Cardboard Mock-up of USB Joystick