Modded Viper Jet Bike

An addition to my scavenger Rogue Trader army is this modded Eldar Viper Jetbike.



You don't get many Games Workshop things on Freecycle, but a couple of battered jetbikes and some Dark Eldar popped up and I nabbed them.

Then I had to make it fit my scavenger militia.  So I ventured into the world of Milliput for the first time.


I first attempted the cockpit without a wire armature, but that was brittle and extremely frustrating, so I cut it all off and worked it again with florists wire.  I have since bought modelling wire because the Milliput really did not like sticking to the plastic coating on the florists wire.

The pilot is the original Eldar one with globs of putty to make him look a little more Cadian-like.

The stippled rust was inspired by this forum post, but I still need heaps of practice.


As the clear perspex stands were missing, I decided to attempt to make the bike 'sit' on its own dust cloud.  I glued two pieces of bent florists wire and added several layers of putty, letting each cure before building up.  The blue is meant to be light from the engines, and the blobs are meant to be billowing dust.
It is NOT meant to look like a giant nobbly poo. :(

You can also see my attempt at a targeting pod to replace the damaged wing.  It's pretty basic but as long as you don't look too close, it's fine.


The gunner was also the original Eldar gunner with helmet chopped off and blobs of putty for a Cadian-style helmet.

What's that you say?  You can't see the gunner's face because it's too dark?  Yeah - that's deliberate.  It's atrocious.

The missile launcher is based around a paper straw, but as you can probably tell - I found sculpting it rather difficult.  I'm not happy with it, but not unhappy enough that I can be bothered to tear it off and re-do it.

And here's the whole thing from the other side.

I'm happy with the crude-looking cockpit - it's exactly the kind of bodge-job look I wanted.

The dust cloud idea kinda works, and I'll persevere with it, but it definitely needs improvement.

The less said about the missile launcher the better.

All in all, I am very happy with my first sculpting mod.  I've got another few bikes off ebay and I'll be modding them up in a similar style.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Micro:Bit and SPI display

DCS World with TrackIR under Ubuntu

Cardboard Mock-up of USB Joystick