Scratch Built Chimera-a-like

I've been working for a billion years on building a 40K-Chimera-style APC.  It's meant for my own pet Imperial Guard regiment styled around salvaged and cannibalised equipment.  (Gods bless the flexibility of the Rogue-Trader-88 rules!)

After much swearing and bleeding over plasticard, I managed to cobble together a shell and cover most of the flaws with Milliput.  And then the model sat, ready to be painted, for many weeks.  But this weekend, I finally got around to painting it!

What's that?  You want to see shoddily-edited photos taken by a monkey with no appreciation for lighting?  I have just the thing!




The true colours are somewhere between the top two pictures.  The photos also don't show quite how wonky the whole thing is.  I doubt there's a pair of parallel edges anywhere on it.

For the rust I followed this tutorial.  For the rivets, I cut discs from some really thin plastic rod (thank you dakkadakka forums for that idea).

The bits I am most proud of are:
  • The driver's view-port.  That's plasticard and Milliput, and I think the sculpted hinges look pretty good.
  • The tracks.  I used a plasticard base, Milliput for the raised bits and cut away for the grooves between links.  Then I made a silicone mold and cast them in resin to get a gazillion of them.  It's the first time I've done something like that, and I am ridiculously happy with them despite how simplistic and wonky they are.
  • The completely scratch-built turret.  The weapons are really simplistic, but are meant to be heavy stubbers (Milliput and plastic straws).  It does turn though, and has something of a cast-metal/Fallout kind of feel to it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Micro:Bit and SPI display

DCS World with TrackIR under Ubuntu

Cardboard Mock-up of USB Joystick