March Projects

So it's already halfway through March.  A perfect time to review my February projects!

Last Month's Projects

Physical make: Completed the steering wheel!  I managed to destroy it by accidentally levering the USB connector off the Arduino, but thankfully I had a spare and repaired it (and glue-gunned the damn cable on) and it's going strong!

Coding make: I dun it!  ...but I didn't come back to the raytraced helicopter game.  I got sidetracked into looking into making a DOS runtime for the pico-8 subset of lua, and then sidetracked again into making Strike-16 for the gotm game jam.

Reading:  The Templars: History and Myth by Michael Haag. So it turns out the Crusades were much more complicated than Christians vs Muslims.  There was plenty of politicking to go around in the Holy Land, and politicking in France eventually did for the Knights Templar.  It was also interesting to learn about the Inner Temple in London, and how St.John's Ambulance cam out of the Knights Hospitaller.  Plus, the Portuguese Knights Templar were spared and set the foundation for Portugal exploring the world.  They had a much wider impact than I realised!


March Projects

Well, we're already well into March, but here's stuff I'm working on.  

Physical make: Stretching the definition of 'physical make', I'm going to set up a server on a tiny wireless router I bought.  It's so small, it can literally sit in the palm of my hand, and I'm curious how much I can squeeze out of it with Open-WRT.

Coding make: I'm preparing for the Dungeon Crawler Jam by trying to implement level generation through a Wave Function Collapse implementation.  I just spent two whole days trying to get even a test case working.  Hopefully before the end of the month I'll have something that can generate a 2D maze.

Reading: I'm currently reading a really strange book I picked up in a charity shop.  It's 'Faith in the City...', a 1985 report on Urban Priority Areas commissioned by the Archbishop of Canterbury.  So far, its themes are on explaining the post-industrial poverty that plagues many of the U.K.'s cities.  It might be nearly forty years old, but the themes seem just as relevant today. :/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Micro:Bit and SPI display

DCS World with TrackIR under Ubuntu

Cardboard Mock-up of USB Joystick