Monthly Projects

I recently took part in a games jam which took longer than a month.  It made me realise how much I prefer the longer-term work to a short, frantic game jam.  However, I know how easily I get distracted by newer, shinier projects.  So I thought I'd try listing a few projects each month that I intend to work on, and then later on in the month posting about how they went.

Projects for May:


Wall-mounted PC


I currently use a laptop to re-slice models for my 3D printer.  Worktop-space is at an absolute premium in the outhouse I call a workshop.  Plus, I hate laptop trackpads.  So the idea is to have a wall-mounted PC with a little shelf for the keyboard and another for the mouse.  It'll need a dust-sheet cover as well otherwise all the heatsinks will get covered in sawdust.

Monaco/Deus Ex-style heist game


This is to continue developing my DOS coding/design skills.  Curiously I'm finding it a lot more fun than developing with Godot atm because the limitations of DOS (aiming at 286 CPUs) mean my brain doesn't beat itself as much with the 'you could do so much better than this' stick.  Not that I think that's the fault of Godot - it's an amazing engine.

Shadowrun/Westworld campaign setting


I am absolutely loving the third season of Westworld.  Watching it makes me want to explore that world in what I guess amounts to some ultra-nerdy fan-fic.  I'm gonna do it and enjoy doing it dammit! :D

The Conscious Mind


I've been interested in mind for a long time.  Training to be a teacher heightened that on the brain/cognition/neuroscience side, but as I understand it this book attempts to build a model for discussing how consciousness fits with the measurables.  Personally, I think too many people fall into the lazy-thinking trap of "if you can't measure it, it doesn't exist".  I believe we all experience consciousness, and I am convinced I experience it.  But how can we explore it philosophically without falling foul of the celestial teapot?  That's what I want this book to explore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Micro:Bit and SPI display

DCS World with TrackIR under Ubuntu

Cardboard Mock-up of USB Joystick